Originally published May 30, 2020
The vision of Sacramento Take Back the Night is a world free of violence. This includes the racial and systematic violence committed against the Black community and against communities of color in Sacramento and across the country.
We condemn and abhor the murders of #GeorgeFloyd, #BreonnaTaylor, #AhmaudArbery, #TonyMcDade, and other Black lives lost to police violence and white supremacy.
We say with conviction that #BLACKLIVESMATTER.
We stand with communities of color who are hurting, mourning, and angry at yet another life lost to police brutality.
We stand with those demanding justice for Black lives lost to police violence and white supremacy, and an end to the system that regularly targets and brutalizes Black people and other people of color.
We stand with grassroots efforts in Sacramento and around the country that protest, organize, agitate, and influence to bring about a more just and violence-free world.
We commit to using our network and platform to continue raising awareness of police brutality and other forms of state-sanctioned violence.
Here are immediate ways that you can help:
- STOP SHARING PHOTOS AND VIDEOS of violence against Black folks on social media.
- Elevate voices of Black and POC protestors on the ground. These first-hand accounts are exposing and challenging the dominant narratives that Black protestors are the ones responsible for looting and rioting.
- White folks joining protests – follow these strategies: https://www.facebook.com/100001714262524/posts/3309594912440952/
- Donate to bail relief funds for protestors: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X4-YS3vFn5CLL9QtJSU0xqmTh_h8XilXgOqGAjZISBI/mobilebasic
- Like and Follow local and national anti-violence efforts on social media (and donate if you can):
Sacramento Take Back the Night Board of Directors